Top Ten Reasons to Retire – and some reasons not to!
Thinking about the top ten reasons to retire I wondered whether retirement is a new beginning or the end?
When I was younger, I looked forward to retiring. I thought I'd play golf, laze around, travel and do all those things that without purpose ... now seem quite meaningless. So as the age rapidly draws nearer, I've decided that … retirement can wait.
I certainly can't find my own top ten reasons to retire.
Maybe its deciding what is retirement? In a financial sense it is having enough money to live the rest of your life exactly how you choose.
However if retiring is never having to work again in your life and you believe Confucius who said “choose a work that you love and you won't have to work another day”.
Then you can be retired while continuing to do "work" you love.
So in doing something I love, I'm not working. I'm doing my website, I'm doing some consulting – doing longer hours with strict deadlines but loving it! There is pressure, there are concerns but there is a sense of empowerment – everything I do and achieve is in my hands. I'm retired!
Does anyone have anything like top ten reasons to retire?
Amongst the best I can find are:
- “Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had the time before to notice the beauty of my grand kids, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself ~ Hartman Jule.
- It's the opportunity for a new beginning.
- Freedom to do and say what you want to without considering the consequences for your “job”.
- Share your wealth. The ultimate example of this must be Bill Gates. Using his massive wealth to attack major world issues. Mobilising other billionaires to do the same.
- Just because you can – you've achieved retirement – you now have the resources to live the rest of your life exactly how you choose.
- Show your gratitude for your success and pay it forward with your knowledge, skill and time. Do charity work, find a new purpose and make a difference.
- Retirement is a time to do what you want, when you want, where you want and how you want.
- "Retirement must be wonderful. I mean, you can suck in your stomach for only so long" ~ Burt Reynolds.
- "Life begins at retirement" ~ Author Unknown
- "Retirement . . . is when you stop living at work and begin working at living" ~ Unknown wise person.
Why bother trying to find the top ten reasons to retire?
When it's been said:
- "To retire is to begin to die" ~ Pablo Casals (Spanish Cellist and Conductor)
- "Retirement kills more people than hard work ever did" ~ Malcolm Forbes.
- "Never retire. Michelangelo was carving the Rondanini just before he died at eighty-nine. Verdi finished his opera Falstaff at eighty" ~ W. Gifford-Jones.
- "Retirement is the ugliest word in the language" ~ Ernest Hemingway.
- "Retired: Too Old to Work — Too Young to Die" ~ Author Unknown.
- “Don't simply retire from something; have something to retire to” ~ Harry Emerson Fosdick - American clergyman 1878-1969).
- "A whole generation of Americans will retire in poverty instead of prosperity, because they simply are not preparing for retirement now" ~ Scott Cook.
- "The boomers' biggest impact will be on eliminating the term 'retirement' and inventing a new stage of life... the new career arc" ~ Rosabeth Moss Kanter.
- "A perpetual holiday is a good working definition of hell" ~ George Bernard Shaw.
Whatever you choose – make a difference “if you have much, give of your wealth; if you have little, give of your heart” ~ Arab proverb.
Do You Have a Great Reason to Retire?
If you do, or have a number, please share it, or them, with us?
Maybe you have a great quote about retiring, or not retiring, which you'd also like to share?
Retirement Help: Try with a little help from a friend
Retirement Advice: Firstly, what does retirement mean to me?
Return from Top Ten Reasons to Retire to Successful Retirement Planning Home Page